“Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.” — Pema Chödrön
My work as a COACH for over 15 years is based on an Integral approach to human development. It is holistic and complete by including:
- your personal values, perspectives, and insights
- actions in real life to test assumptions and build new skills
- a supportive and guiding relationship with me
- your context: workplace, home, community and culture
Coaching has a clear and effective architecture of conversations, homework practices and reflection questions to:
- Leverage your current capacities that serve you well
- Incrementally loosen habits and mindsets which get in your way
- Build new more effective and fulfilling ways of thinking, being and doing
- Fine-tune and iterate given arising opportunities and challenges
My work as a COUNSELLOR for over 26 years is supported and informed by many traditions, including:
- cognitive behavioural therapy: learning how to influence how you feel by changing how you think and act
- acceptance and commitment therapy: becoming more accepting of your thoughts and emotional reactions, and choosing actions based on your core values
- person-centered therapy: more fully knowing and expressing your feelings and experiences within a warm, non-judging, confidential and empathic relationship
- compassion-focused therapy: becoming more self-aware and mindful, kind towards oneself, and interconnected with others
- awareness of systemic factors including poverty, sexism, racism, xenophobia and homophobia
- an Integral approach which includes values, perceptions, relationships, culture, actions, biology, and systems
Following my PhD in Clinical Psychology, I completed extensive written and oral licensing exams to become registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario in 1995. My registration number is 2804. This college exists for the protection of clients and provides me with clear guidelines for acting ethically, competently and appropriately with those receiving my services (counselling and coaching). As a consumer, you can contact the college via phone (416–961 –8817) or their website (www.cpo.on.ca), should you have any unresolvable concerns about my conduct. My college requires me to participate in a Quality Assurance program, ensuring that I keep up to date.
I completed over 550 hours of specialized training with Integral Coaching Canada in 2005 through to 2008 to become certified as an Integral Master Coach™. This training program exceeds the accreditation requirements of the International Coaching Federation; with its completion and over 1000 hours of coaching experience, I also earned their designation of Professional Certified Coach.
People and the ups and downs of life have fascinated me since I was a kid pouring over ‘triumph of the human spirit’ books from my small town library. It touched my heart how ordinary people got through and emerged from tough times with courage, resilience, compassion, generosity, gratitude and connection. My belief in cultivating these core values continues to ground my work to this day. It’s the foundation of my life’s intention to help heal human suffering and support growth and flourishing… one client at a time.
Outside work, I enjoy spending time with my husband, three adult children and two grand-puppies, as well as my parents and friends. I still love to read and write, and have recently been having fun re-exploring visual art, sewing, and knitting. Making music playlists, teaching groove fitness, cycling, running, lifting weights and being in nature also make for a more vibrant and joyful me.
Want the details about my hours, clientele, fees and policies?
P.O. Box 519, 3731 Carp Rd.,
Ottawa, K0A 1L0
Integral Coach ™ is a trademark in Canada owned by Integral Coaching Canada Inc. and licensed to Deb Thompson.