“One of the most beautiful gifts in the world is the gift of encouragement. When someone encourages you, that person helps you over a threshold you might otherwise never have crossed on your own.”
— John O’Donohue
Where are you located?
If you are in Ottawa, we can meet in my office in Bells Corners or virtually. If you are elsewhere in Ontario, we can connect over secure video-conferencing using a free platform for phones, tablets and computers (Zoom).
What are your counselling hours?
I am available in person in Bells Corners on Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 am – 5 pm. I provide video-conferencing sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays noon – 8 pm, and Fridays 9 am – 3 pm.
Are there types of clients/challenges you do NOT see?
I work with individuals aged 25 and up.
Certain challenges are best addressed by clinicians working in a multi-disciplinary team, and/or with specialized training with specific populations. As such, I do NOT work with:
- children, teens, and young adults (aged 24 and younger)
- WSIB or MVA clients
- people who have been abusive/violent
- people diagnosed with personality disorders
- people struggling with:
- drug and/or alcohol overuse, abuse, addiction
- anorexia and bulimia
- active cutting/self-harm or active suicidality
What are your counselling fees? Can I get reimbursed?
My current fee as a Psychologist is $200 CAD for one hour in person (50 minutes face to face, 10 minutes for file review and documentation) (no added taxes), and the same for service provided virtually via Zoom videoconferencing. My fee will be prorated for other services beyond the counselling hour such as completion of letters and forms as requested.
Payment is due in full at the time of booking an appointment using my online calendar via PayPal or Stripe (linkable to bank and credit cards). I send you an official receipt within 24 hours of booking the appointment.
My fees are not covered by OHIP, but many extended health care plans do reimburse employees (and their family members) for the services of a Registered Psychologist. Check your plan or Human Resources department for the details. I can also write my receipts in increments that your plan specifies (e.g., 30 minutes), and using the correct terminology (e.g., “treatment”, “counselling”, etc.).
What if I miss or cancel an appointment?
With 48 hours notice, there is no fee. With less notice, barring circumstances beyond your control, you are responsible for the fee for your booked time slot.
Are our conversations confidential?
As a Registered Psychologist, my involvement with you is a completely confidential matter and will not be revealed to anyone (including family members, physicians, etc.) without your permission. The content of our sessions is also totally confidential, with the following exceptions: your file is supoenaed, imminent plans to harm yourself or others, abuse/neglect of children or elderly/dependent adults, and misconduct of a health professional (e.g., inappropriate touch by a doctor or massage therapist). These exceptions require me to take steps as necessary for the protection of people. If you have any questions about confidentiality, please be sure to address them with me.
Should I choose
counselling or coaching?
I am trained, credentialled and experienced in providing both coaching and
Counselling allows people to:
- Explore and heal from past experiences
- Develop new ways of understanding themselves and others
- Build skills for managing their emotions and relationships with more effective capacities
- Counselling conversations can cover different aspects of life from week to week
- The relationship is usually open-ended, with sessions held at a frequency you choose
- Homework is optional and if given, simply discussed
- Cost is for face-to-face time only ($200/hour)
In Integral Coaching™:
- Clients work on a specific personal topic
- There is a program with an anticipated duration (e.g, 3 to 9 months) with meetings every 2 weeks
- You get written, customized developmental practices and reflection questions to complete between conversations
- The cost is higher, reflecting face-to-face time and program/practice development as well as email accountability and support between sessions (e.g. individuals pay $600/month for two meetings and customized practice sets)
- Although the roots of a client’s way of being are acknowledged in coaching, the emphasis is on moving forward rather than exploring the past.
I am happy to discuss which change modality would best serve your needs.
Please note that my college considers me to be a Registered Psychologist whether I am counselling or coaching, so I can provide receipts for extended health benefit plans for either service.